Friday, May 8, 2009

Six young ladies seek title of Miss Rodeo Queen

I am wondering how these young cow-girls feel about horse-slaughter? I cant imagine they would be for it, but then again,....its rodeo. Who knows, maybe they are not even aware of what is happening with our horses today. So many horse-people arent. Either that, or they believe the pro-slaughter hype.
---------------
by Bill Thornley

SPOONER, WI — Plans are shifting into high gear for the 56th-Annual Spooner Heart O’ North Rodeo, July 9-12. Among the first orders of business is the selection of new rodeo royalty.

Rodeo queen tryouts will be held on Saturday, May 9, at the Spooner Rodeo Arena, starting at 10 a.m. and concluding at approximately 2 p.m.

The 2009 queen and princess will be announced and crowned right after the tryouts are completed and the scores tallied.

Six young ladies will compete this year, including Kyndra Swan, Amber O’Shea Dorn, Stephanie Smith, Miriah Lehmann, Shawny Kleven and Kristine Wartman.

The 2009 queen and princess will be introduced officially for the first time at the kickoff of the 56th rodeo, the Spooner Rodeo Media Night Bar-B-Que and Sponsor Night on June 16.

The 2009 Spooner Rodeo queen candidates have prepared short biographies, presented here:



Kyndra Swan

My name is Kyndra Swan. I am 17 years old and currently a senior attending Shell Lake High School. After graduation, I am going to be attending Lake Superior College in Duluth. I am entering the paralegal field and studying legal administrative assistance.

I have lived in the Spooner/Shell Lake area my entire life. I live with my parents, Ed and Tammy Swan. I have one older brother, Cody, who lives in the Twin Cities.

My horse Cody is a 13-year-old tricolored paint. The first time I saw him and hopped on him bareback, I knew he was meant for me. We have been together for three years now, and we are starting our fourth summer together.

Cody and I participate in the 4-H horse program, and we trail ride. In 4-H we like to compete in events like Western pleasure, trail, barrels, speed dash, keyhole, pole bending and flag race.

I have always loved the rodeo and all it stands for. I would love to be able to represent the rodeo and Spooner. I believe that I would be able to represent the Spooner Rodeo in a positive light because I am sociable, organized, and I love to have fun. The rodeo committee always works hard to make the rodeo a huge success. I would love to show people the joys and thrills of the rodeo and all the interesting places Spooner and the Spooner area have to offer.



Amber Rose O’Shea Dorn

Hey! My name is Amber Rose O’Shea Dorn. I’m the daughter of Phil Dorn and Donna O’Shea Dorn. I’m 18 years old, and I’m currently a freshman at UW-Stout.

I began my journey with horses when I moved to Cumberland from downtown Milwaukee. I started with the horseless-horse project in 4-H when I was 7 or 8 years old, then finally got my very own horse.

I was involved with the 4-H horse project up until last summer when I graduated from high school and moved on to college.

I performed in open shows with my horse as well, and I attended many horse events such as expos and lots of great rodeos.

I would love to represent the Spooner Rodeo along with Spooner itself, and I feel that I could accomplish that goal with all my people skills, my horse skills and the motivation to strive hard to get things I really want.



Stephanie Rose Smith

My name is Stephanie Rose Smith. I am 16 years old and a junior at Cameron High School. I have been showing horse since third grade around the state of Wisconsin and parts of Minnesota. I participate in the Western pleasure, English and Gymkhana events. I’ve shown and placed at county, district and state levels for Gymkhana and pleasure. I’ve trained every horse I’ve shown and am now working with Sherrie Nichols Performance Horses.

Currently, I have participated in numerous extracurricular activities over the years, such as 4-H, American Paint Horse Association, Wisconsin State Honors Music Association, prom committee, Relay For Life, FFA, FBLA, Spanish Club, Student Council, National Conference for Youth Catholics, basketball and volleyball. Each of these activities I am involved in keeps my life full of interesting, exciting and challenging experiences.

Also, I have participated in volunteer service projects and fundraisers within these organizations. Taking part in activities such as highway cleanups, caroling and playing games with the elderly in nursing homes, and planting trees and cleaning local public parks are beneficial and fun ways to give back to my community.

Furthermore, I hope to attend a college or university to study large animal veterinary science, with emphasis on equine. Being selected as the Spooner Rodeo queen or princess would expose me to many educational experiences that would benefit my future.



Miriah Lehmann

Hi, rodeo fans! My name is Miriah Lehmann and my parents are Ryan and Suzy Lehmann from Barronett. I have two sisters, Tinille and Alyse. I was born and raised on a dairy farm and have been employed by the family farm for six years. Someday I hope to have a career in veterinary medicine.

On the farm I learned strong work ethics and the love of horses. I love all my horses, but my horse Sonny is at the top of the list. I have been riding horses since the third grade and love the time I spend with them. When I am not riding, caring for my horses or working on the farm, I spend my spare time practicing and playing the sport of hockey.

I was very honored and considered it a great privilege to be chosen to represent the rodeo as princess last year. I enjoyed participating in the rodeo, the interviews on radio and television and traveling to many different parades. Throughout the year I grew as an individual and will cherish the memories and the experiences forever.

It would be an honor to be chosen as the queen this year. If selected, I will represent the city of Spooner and the Spooner Rodeo to the best of my ability.



Shawny Kleven

Hi, I’m Shawny Kleven. I’m a junior at Rice Lake High School. Twelve years ago I fell in love with horseback riding. Since then I’ve developed my riding skills, and for the past nine years I’ve been competing in the Barron County Fair.

While I’ve competed in many events, my horse Bandit and I love the thrill of Gymkhana. Besides competing at the county fair, I’ve also shown at districts, state and the Washburn County Fun Show.

On top of being involved with horse, I also am involved in school activities. I’m a varsity athlete in both soccer and gymnastics. I participate in National Honor Society, Key Club and International Club. In my spare time I stay involved with my community, I’m the vice president of my 4-H club, I volunteer at the Lakeview Medical Center, as well as at the Brill Area Sportsmen Club, and I also stay involved with my church activities.

I’ve been attending the Spooner Rodeo since I was a month old. Ever since I was little I’ve always wanted to become involved in the Spooner Rodeo, and I feel this opportunity is a way to achieve my goal. I hope to see you at the 56th-Annual Heart of the North Spooner Rodeo.



Kristine Wortman

Hi! I am Kristine Wortman, daughter of Dan and Karen, and sister of Matt, Andy and Tim.

My hobbies consist of horseback riding, gaming, snowboarding, reading, writing, doing anything outside, listening to people, playing music on my saxophone and clarinet, drawing and hunting.

At school I am involved in S.O.D.A., F.C.C.L.A., Forensics, yearbook staff, band, jazz band, marching band, pep band, kinship, volleyball and secretary of my class.

Outside of school I am involved in 4-H, camp counselors, horse camp, Polk County Fair, church, hunting and riding clubs.

When I graduate I would like to go to college for a major in architecture and equine therapy.

My horses are Classical Lady, an American paint mare, and Jewel, a quarter horse mare. They have both been trained by my mom and I, and have been fine-tuned to be my best buddies.

I am honored to be considered for the Spooner Rodeo royalty position. I feel that I could represent the Spooner district well, because I am responsible, independent, creative, outgoing, ambitious, supportive, positive, respectful and willing to try new things.

My goals for myself, if I get the position, are have lots of fun, meet and make new friends, encourage others to step out of their comfort zone and try something new, be a role model for younger people, and leave a shining trail for others to follow. I would like to thank the committee for considering me as a candidate.




http://www.wcregister.net/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=73&twindow=&mad=&sdetail=6213&wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=1142&hn=wcregister&he=.net

No comments: